New Year’s Energy Saving Resolutions7th January 2011
We all give ourselves New Yearâ€™s resolution they usually involve joining the gym, quitting smoking or eating healthier, but have you ever thought of energy saving for your New Yearâ€™s resolution. Not only can you save energy but you can also save money!
There are so many things that we can all do around our homes and offices to save energy. Here are some energy saving tips that are free to do!
- At night, pull the curtains to stop heat being lost through the windows, take care not to drape curtains over radiators as this will funnel heat straight out of the windows.
- Set your heating to turn off 30 minutes before you leave the house and 30 minutes before you return, combine this with truning your thermostat down by 1 degree
- Remember not to set the thermostat too high on your water heater; 60Â°C/140Â°F is usually adequate for bathing and washing, if you have one use a shower, you can save water, money and time this way
- Remember to switch lights off when you leave a room
- Switch off your TV, video and stereo at the mains switch. Standby can use as much as 10% 60% of the electricity that would be used by the device if it was switched on. If your mains switch is difficult to reach then for a small cost you can get a solution check out our audio and visual automatic standby shutdown.
- Where possible wait until you have a full load before using your washing machine, if possible use economy cycles
Let us know your New Yearâ€™s energy saving resolutions!